Living with Dynamic Shorelines
Some spontaneous feedback from one of the delegates:
I’d just like to say a huge THANK-YOU! I thoroughly enjoyed my first dune conference and introduction to the wider coast care family. Everyone was welcoming and willing to pass on their extensive knowledge, and my only wish is that it could have been longer… I can’t wait for the next one.
- Riba Greally, Reserves Community Ranger, Hutt City Council, 1 April 2019
Living with Dynamic Shorelines was the theme of our 2019 conference, which was held in Warkworth 27-29 March 2019.
The conference was a mixture of indoor presentations and fieldtrips. Click on this link to see the conference booklet including the programme.
Photos are available here. Thanks to Simon Hoyle of Southlight, who kindly did the photography. Some photos will be uploaded to this site. Here is a short video to summarise it all: https://vimeo.com/southlightnz/coastal19
Some of the presentations of the conference:
- Archaeology in coastal environments - Matthew Campbell (CFG Heritage)
- Monitoring Coastal Turf - Luke Stanley (Auckland Council)
- Tāwharanui Open Sanctuary - Alison Stanes
- Dune Restoration, Muriwai Beach - Matthew McNeil
Regional Roundup presentations:
- Beach Care Port Waikato - Karen Opie
- Bream Bay Coastal Care Trust - Iuana Pirihi
- Castlecliff Coast Care - Graham Pearson
- Coast Care Bay of Plenty - Paul Greenshields (BOPRC)
- Coast Care Eastern Bay of Plenty - Wayne O’Keefe
- Coast Care Bay of Plenty West - Chris Ward
- Cooks Beachcare - Alan Henry
- East Coast Protection Group - Rick Stolwerk
- Friends of Awa Matakanakana - Martin Evans
- Kaitorete Birdlings Flat - Ian Hankin (DOC)
- Northland Regional Council - Laura Shaft
- Maketu Ongatoro Wetland Society - Julian Fitter
- Waikato Coastcare - Moniqua Nelson-Tunley
- Waipu Cove Langs Beach - Rick Stolwerk
- Joshua Bilkey - The use of UAVs for Coastal Research Purposes
- Mitchell Baber - Scarab beetles
There was also a free CoastalRestoration101 workshop on Tuesday 26 March. This day was kindly sponsored by the Department of Conservation.
This conference was kindly sponsored by Auckland Council and Coastlands Plant Nursery.