Sumner Coastcare Project
Date started: June 2011
Location of main site: Sumner & Taylors Mistake dunes in Christchurch
About the group: Sumner Coastcare Project is a joint project between the local community and Christchurch City Council’s coastal parks team. Its aim is to restore and protect the coastal environment.
- erosion control and protection of the coastal system using the natural ecology of dune systems
- protection and restoration of the native dune community including re-introduction of locally extinct native dune species Spinifex and pingao
- upgrading of existing access ways to the beach and associated with this, protection of the foredune area from physical disturbance to help prevent damage to plants
- control of the invasive exotic species currently present
- long term restoration of habitat for coastal indigenous species, and potential benefits for coastal erosion protection, water quality, mahinga kai values, and connectivity aspects
Go here to read our latest newsletter.
Contact: Shane Orchard & Freya Wilkinson
Blog site: www.sumnercoastcare.wordpress.com